Announcement: My garden blog URL has changed. Click here to visit my new Dig-It-Yourself garden blog!

Latesst Posts From My Garden Blog

Monday, June 4, 2007

What I Did This Weekend

Lame Post Alert: The following post is, at most, marginally entertaining. But, it does not involve any house buying talk, if that helps.

This weekend, Nick and I went to see a movie in the actual theater. Its been a while since we've done that.

I'm sure most of you have heard of it by now. Its the new movie by the director who did 40 Year Old Virgin. The movie was heavily promoted, which is probably why we couldn't even get tickets on Friday night. While I loved 40 Year Old Virgin and I was looking forward to Knocked Up, its not like a felt a huge need to see it on its opening night. I just wanted to go to the movies. Did I like it? Well, yes. It was actually quite good, although not as good as 40 Year Old Virgin. And, it had a big point of weirdness for me at the end when, for about ten seconds, I thought to myself "oh, that's why people have kids, I get it, I want to do that", which is, if you know me, highly out of character. But, I'm over it now and am happily back in "no kids for me" land. But yeah, its a good movie. Maybe not worth the price of seeing it in the theater, although laughing along with a theater full of people is kind of fun, it s not like you'd miss anything by watching it at home instead of on the actual "big screen". Here's the trailer, if by some chance, you have no idea what I'm talking about.



We ended up seeing the movie on Saturday night, since we couldn't get tickets on Friday. After being turned away at the box office on Friday night, we wondered over to the Virgin Megastore, which is going out of business, sadly enough, and ended up spending around $135 on eight CD's. I can't remember the last time I spent that much on CD's. We got the new Arcade Fire CD, a solo CD by Cranberries singer Dolores O'Rordan, a CD called The Cost from an Irish band called The Frames the front man of which is Glen Hansard who is the Irish single dude in the new movie Once (which totally rocks the same movie I posted the trailer of last week here on my blog), some Ramones CD (that was all Nick, not that I don't think they're cool, I'm just not quite as into them as he is), some CD by some other band who's name I can't remember right now (but the CD is pretty good), and a few compilation CD's which were cheap for a lot of music with dance / cool groovy mood tracks by various artists. I think that's it. I'll let you know if any of them are noteworthy. So far, I've listened to the Dolores O'Rordan CD a couple of times and enough times to say that it definitely rocks. If you like the Cranberries and if you like chicks that rock, you'll like this one. It looks like you can stream a couple tracks from the new CD on her myspace page.

We have also discovered a really cool board game called Blockus. Its one of those raally easy to learn with few rules, but actually harder than it looks games. Its won lots of awards for being a good mind exercise type game, so I guess you could say that its good brain food. It looks like there are a couple different versions of the game. We have the regular Blockus, as opposed to the Blockus Trigon or Travel Blockus. We find it particularly cool cuz its not based on trivia knowledge, and therefore doesn't mean that Nick (Trivia God himself) will automatically win every game. We carried the game to Fado Irish Pub (some of you celebrated New Years 2005 there with me) and played with some friends while enjoying some brews. It was cool. And... in response to the homeless dude who, upon seeing Nick walk by carrying the Blockus box which is similar in size and shape to a pizza box, yelled out "Give me a Slice" and then adding "I'm a Republican" as if that would convince us.... the answer is: First of all, its not food. Secondly, if you're telling us that you're republican because you think that we're republicans and would give you a slice of our nonexistent pizza based on your political persuasion, you should know that a) we aren't republicans!!!!!! and b) we don't believe you are either. and c) its still not food. Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. homeless guy is dumb. let's just say that since there are 2 major parties, he would have a 50/50 shot of you being republicans, that still leaves a 50% chance you will not be. but if you take into account that you're in chicago, the reason illinois is a blue state, then his chances go down considerably. then again maybe you're supposed to feel pity for him for being a complete dumbass.

    ReplyDelete