Announcement: My garden blog URL has changed. Click here to visit my new Dig-It-Yourself garden blog!

Latesst Posts From My Garden Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Pride

On Sunday, Nick and I were happy to march in our third (Gay) Pride Parade here in Chicago. For the record, Chicago's Pride Parade totally kicks butt. Its so much fun! and... I continue to be amazed that Pride is such a mainstream event here. Any politician who hopes to ever be re-elected, is in this parade... along with random local government offices, like the Mayors office of the Recorder of Deeds (the weirdest and most random one I saw this year.) We marched with the ACLU group, which was great. I argue that marching in the parade is much more fun than just watching the parade (although it is true that I've only ever marched and have never been a spectator). Its one of those times where you can go up to anyone on the street and go "Woooooooo!!!" and they'll go "WooooooOOOO!" back at you. I'm not sure exactly what the Woooo means... but it makes you feel good. Its like everyone is cheering for everyone else.

For those of you who might be confused as to why Nick and I (obviously a hetero couple) would march in a gay bride (haha, typo.. I mean pride) parade, well the answer is, we march as supporters... we are the "A" in the GLTBQQA (Gay, Lesbian, Trans, Bi, Queer, Questioning, and Allies). We believe that everyone, regardless of their orientation or identity, should be loved and accepted, and should have access to all the legal rights and protections as everyone else. Word!

I'd like to thank the GLTB crowed for letting is "breeders" participate in such a great shindig. We look forward to next year. Check out the pics below.


the ACLU group- "A-C-L-U We'll Fight For Them, They'll Fight For You"


We would have added "and Families" to the sign, but we aren't the ones who made it... And a Kilt, just cuz its fun! (I think we'll have to find a rainbow kilt next year)


Statue of Liberty hat symbolizing Liberty for everyone...


A few floats ahead of us, the Chipotle Burrito restaurant float... this was so clever I thought... (for those of you who don't know Spanish, "Como Estas?" is a typical greeting which means "How are you"... "Homo Estas?" means "are you Homo?" which kind of doesn't make any sense, but it sounds funny.

3 comments:

  1. As one passionate "A" to another...you guys ROCK. I still have your photo of "the T-shirt" on my fridge, though I won't go into detail ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for marching with us again! It was great to see you and Nick. :)

    ReplyDelete