Announcement: My garden blog URL has changed. Click here to visit my new Dig-It-Yourself garden blog!

Latesst Posts From My Garden Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Leather Dilemma

Hi blog people. :) I am experiencing a conundrum. As you all know, Nick and I are moving into a new house in a couple of weeks. We've been planning to purchase a new (new to us, but used by someone else is okay too) sofa. We been living in Futon-landia for the last few years, and now we're ready for some "grown up" furniture. We're interested in a modern sectional with a chaise and a ottoman. We want to have plenty of room for all six of us (Nick and I, the two dogs, and the two cats) to pile up on it, as trying to keep the animals off it is a futile matter So, we know what style we want, we know what features we want, but we aren't sure what material we want it to be made of. The short story is: if we get leather then it will be much more durable in terms of dealing with dogs and cats on it all the time, and most importantly, animal hair wont stick to it. The problem is, I'm vegetarian, albeit a slacker. While I will eat food with "meat essence" (ie: chicken broth, fish oil etc) and while I do wear (am in fact wearing right at this moment) leather shoes/belts, I do still fancy myself a conscientious veggie and therefore am having conflicted feelings about purchasing a huge leather couch. The only reason I want leather is because of the animal hair repellent factor. If there was another material that would repel animal hair but wasn't the hide of a previously alive animal, I'd totally go for that. There is vinyl, but I find it uncomfortable and responsible for sweaty-bum and legs-stuck-to-seat syndrome. Also, vinyl has some major negative environmental implications. (for purposes of being fair, here is a pro-vinyl article provided by a PVC manufacteror)

So, what do I do? Kill some cows and feed more demand into the animal products industry? Or, go for the toxic synthetic material derived from a non-renewable resource? Or, do I just suck it up, get a couch with cotton (or whatever) upholstery, and just deal with the animal hair colony which will be a certainty?

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I find leather couches to be kind of uncomfortable, in that skin sticks to them. Maybe I've only sat on cheap leather couches, though.

    I know that when Danger used to be fully vegetarian, she still wore leather. Her argument was that non-vegetarians were already eating the meat, so she might as well do her part to make sure the skin didn't go to waste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait... you went from vegan-eating-butter-on-her-breadsticks "accidently" to vegetarian-eating-chicken-broth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. honestly, critters on leather is not so good. supposedly their nails might puncture it, although we haven't had any problems with mom's car seats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cloth is easier to get stains out of than leather. They make carpet shampooers with upholstry attachments, for example, but from what I understand cleaning leather is a bitch.

    Your post also reminded me of a discussion I had with the bibliophile a couple of weeks ago about which is worse- buying shoes made of plastic that will never biodegrade or buying shoes made of leather. Neither one of us could come up with a good answer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. shoes made of wood and hemp, maybe? Yeah, i have no idea....

    ReplyDelete