Announcement: My garden blog URL has changed. Click here to visit my new Dig-It-Yourself garden blog!

Latesst Posts From My Garden Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Just Check'n In

So, yes, I did wait until the last minute to do my (our) taxes. I started doing them like two weeks ago, but last night at 9:30, I was still working on them. We filed separately, which meant filling out and filing two returns. I almost fell victim to the TurboTax e-file malfunction last night. It took me about four different tries and about half an hour to finally get them to e-file successfully. Then when I woke up this morning I got the news that something like thousands of e-filed returns made trough TurboTax last night didn't make it. I called the IRS, but they said I had to give it a couple of days before I'd know. So, hopefully everything is good. Damn taxes!

Get this folks: I'm reading a book. Well, I'm actually listening to it on my iPod, but its an unabridged copy, so whatever. You paper and ink snobs can kiss my ass. (just kidding, I don't think I know any paper and ink snobs, I just made that up). So yeah, I'm reading The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan. I'm about a third the way through and so far am enjoying it very much, and I'm learning a lot too. If you're into plants, agriculture, environmentalism, etc. you'd enjoy this book. I'll give a full review of it once I actually finish it, I'm just really excited so I wanted to mention it.

In her most recent post, Velocibadgergirl spoke very eloquently about the awfulness that happened at V-Tech this week. I too felt like this hit very close to home. Its probably because I've spent so much time on university campuses and many of my friends and family work at universities. It just totally sucks. I saw Rosie O'Donnell on TV today saying how she feels completely fed up with fighting for better gun control laws. I feel the same way. I mean, if Columbine wont do it, what's to lead me to believe that this will? Of course, who knows if a change in gun laws could have prevented this tragedy. Also, I have to admit that despite how horrible this was and how close to home it feels, I'm struck by the fact that gun violence (or just regular old violence) happens all the time. Something like 30,000 people are killed by guns (the people using the guns, more precisely) every year in America. Maybe if we were so outraged by the deaths of those 29,968 people as we are at the deaths of the 32 people at V-Tech, maybe things would be different. Or maybe not, I dunno.

I love all you guys. (for the record)

Yes, I've been doing my Yoga. I made a promise to myself that I'd do yoga every day for the next week. So far, things are going pretty well, although yesterday I did cheat cuz I didn't exactly finish the entire dvd, but hey, I was trying to file my taxes, yo. I'm still very sore. There are places that are sore on me that I didn't even know could be sore.

That's all for now (although I may post some cute pictures later tonight)

4 comments:

  1. Actually, I'm a little bit of a paper and ink snob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW IT!!!
    we can no longer be friends

    jk

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you don't qualify for a special exception to her snobbery, i promise to kick her for you.

    personally, i dislike listening to books, but that only goes for me. you can get your books however you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just takes me so long to read (like reading with my eyes) so listening to books is much better and the only way I'll finish a book, most of the time.

    ReplyDelete