Announcement: My garden blog URL has changed. Click here to visit my new Dig-It-Yourself garden blog!

Latesst Posts From My Garden Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Confessional

I'm not sure if its supposed to work like this, but today's post is confession and apology for me being a lame movie watching buddy. Nick knows what I'm talking about. Last night, after sifting through all the bullshit on TV, we decided to watch a movie. It sounds easy enough, but the truth is that I'm the pickiest movie watcher EVER. For instance, here's a list of things that I don't like in movies:
  • I don't like cartoons (exception: Lion King and Finding Nemo)
  • I don't like movies with fantastical characters like faries, witches, wizards, magic, etc (exception: Dogma and Sci-Fi movies)
  • I don't like movies that are in black and white (no exceptions, not even Wizard of Oz)
  • and now that we're on the subject, I generally don't like movies that take place in any time period other than the last forty years or so (but Sci-Fi that takes place in the future is ok)
  • I don't like movies where people are mean to each other, especially including scenes of torture, people beating other people up, people having limbs amputated etc.
  • I don't like movies with monsters like King Kong and Draculaand no vampires please!
  • I don't like movies with subtitles cuz its hard for me to read (although if someone wants to read the whole damn movie out loud to me, that's cool (not that anyone would want to do that). Overdubbing in English is fine.
  • I don't like movies with overly dumb comedy, especially comedy based on poop or farts or inflicting pain on oneself or others

So yeah, that pretty much cuts out 90% of movies that were ever made. I dunno what my problem is... I'm not really this picky about anything else (I don't think).

It took Nick and I half an hour to find a movie that we could both agree on (meaning one that I approved of; he'd watch almost anything I think). We endedup watching Elizabethtown, which was actually better than I expected. Generally, Chic Flicks don't fall under any of those categories of things I don't like, but they can also be annoying in their own right. But this one was pretty damn good (although someone did die in the movie which made me cry several times).

For anyone who finds themselves in the situation of picking out a movie to watch with me, I offer my sincerest regrets. I seriously mean that too.

I think I'll end this post with a list of my favorite movies, partially to prove to myself and you guys that there are movies that I do actually like. Here goes:

(in no particular order, because I tried that and its taking to long to decide)
High Fidelity
40 Year Old Virgin
All the Kevin Smith movies
American Beauty (yes, this violates the death and violence rules)
Best in Show
Garden State
the first Bridget Jones movie
Trainspotting (this violates many of my rules...)
Bend It Like Beckham
When Harry Met Sally, Forget Paris, and French Kiss which are basically the same movie
50 1st Dates
Love Actually

There, see... I like stuff.

fwew, I feel much better now.

Thanks for listening. :)

4 comments:

  1. When Harry Met Sally is NOT the same movie as Forget Paris! Sacrilege! WHMS is the quintessential romantic comedy -- the cream of the crop! The pick of the litter! The YES! YES! YES! Plus, it has a soundtrack by Harry Connick Jr.

    I can't tell you what Forget Paris is, because I don't remember much of it. (I guess you could say I "forgot.") But I think it has Andie MacDowell, which makes it wrong.

    You know I feel passionately about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the statement that When Harry Met Sally is NOT the same movie as Forget Paris! It is also not the same movie as French Kiss!

    Anyway, now I know why we used to watch Bridget Jones so often, but really, I never realized you had such movie issues.

    The last new chick-flick I saw and liked is The Holiday with Jack Black, Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz.

    Lastly, I really love Elizabethtown (in fact I bought it not long ago), and I know velocibadgergirl likes it quite a bit too. It was supposed to be a real dud, though; a black mark on Orlando Bloom's career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought you were just a bad movie watching buddy because you always fell asleep about an hour in. i had no idea you had these other problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, I love nearly all of the movies on your approved list.

    High Fidelity -- Love it. (You really should watch Grosse Pointe Blank for more John Cusack awesomeness. It's my favorite Cusack movie.)

    40 Year Old Virgin -- haven't seen it.

    All the Kevin Smith movies -- Love.

    American Beauty (yes, this violates the death and violence rules) -- LOVE.

    Best in Show -- Terriers! Terriers!

    Garden State -- love

    the first Bridget Jones movie -- love

    Trainspotting (this violates many of my rules...) -- love, even though I should probably hate

    Bend It Like Beckham -- don't love it, but it was very cute

    When Harry Met Sally, Forget Paris, and French Kiss which are basically the same movie -- haven't seen any of these

    50 1st Dates -- very cute! Adam Sandler in something where I DON'T feel like punching him in the face. And I love Drew Barrymore. Have you seen "The Wedding Singer"?

    Love Actually -- loved it!

    I also really liked Elizabethtown even though all the reviews said it was supposed to suck.

    I second the bibliophile's recommendation of the Holiday. I know some people who hated it, but MB and I both loved loved loved it. The Family Stone, which came out last year, is also good.



    See, we should watch movies together all the time :D

    ReplyDelete